Stay in the lines... stay
in the lines...
I thought to myself as I
attempted to put on my mother's lipstick like I was filling in a cartoon
character in one of my childhood coloring books.
I pushed myself
upwards on my tiptoes as my feet swam in my mother's five-inch stilettos to get
a better look at my adult like facade in the mirror....
Isn't it
ironic how we spend out whole lives waiting to grow up, until we come to an age
where we can do nothing but look back and reminisce upon the innocent youth we
desire to have back? Throughout school we are told to act our age but what does
that really mean? I had no idea there was a level of maturity that came with a
grade level. From a young age, maturity appeared to be the end all goal; those
who appeared to be more mature, were superior... not to mention the brownie
points you would earn from the teacher. I for one was always "that
kid". The one that did exactly as they were told, never spoke out of line,
and was ready to grow up. Well, all I have to say is... what the hell was I
thinking?
Senior
year is a pivotal point of change and entrance into the adult world. It is the
last year to be a child, yet we are conflicted with endless expectations to
mature and prepare ourselves for reality. As a child, we were never wrong... no
idea was a bad idea, and our imagination flourished without restrictions. But,
as we aged, there was only one correct answer... no you can't think out of the
box and no you may not be creative. Now that the adult world is so within
reach, it does not appear as wondrous as it did when I was young but a cold
reality. Strangely enough, I have never felt more immature and foolish than I
have in this year of school. I am truly embracing every ounce of my impish
nature. Maybe I am doing so because I fear the adult world I will be living in
come next August. Or maybe I am currently held to society's ideal standard of
what a 17-year-old girl should act like. There is no such thing
as "acting your age". These thoughts got me wondering...
To what degree does our chronological age influence who we are?
Age is
just a figment of our own ideals and standards... we are the ones that choose
to lose our youthful innocence and our childlike incentives. Throughout this
year, I will explore the characteristics of age and the social aspects of
maturity in hopes of answering my big question.
I like the idea behind your question--perhaps you could rephrase your question so that it might be easier to apply/answer it with your readings--To what degree does chronological age influence who we are?
ReplyDeleteThis observation made me sad (I'm a firm believer in creativity at any and all ages):
But, as we aged, there was only one correct answer... no you can't think out of the box and no you may not be creative.